July 12, 2011

1800's Pancakes-Tutorial




We just couldn't eat another bowl of cereal around here.  I decided that my kids could use some good old fashioned pancakes and by old, I mean old.  This recipe comes from an old Willimantic/Windham Connecticut news paper.  It was submitted September 7, 1881.  The link.llThe pancakes turned out really well.  I admit I was worried about the consistency and if they would turn out to be more like a crepe so I added a little baking soda.  I also halved the recipe and it made plenty.  

PANCAKES (TWC Sep 7 1881) - Beat up three eggs and a quart of milk; make it up into a batter with flour, a little salt, a spoonful of ground ginger, and a little grated lemon peel; let it be of a fine thickness and perfectly smooth. Clean your frying pan thoroughly, and put into it a good lump of dripping or butter; when it is hot pour in a cupful of batter,and let it run all over of an equal thickness; shake the pan frequently that the batter may not stick, and when you think it is done on one side, toss it over; if you cannot, turn it with a slice, and when both are of a nice light brown, lay it on a dish before the fire; stew sugar over it, and so do the rest. They should be eaten directly, or they will become heavy.Windham newspaper


Here is what I did
*Blend half quart milk and 2 eggs.  Beat in a spoonful ginger, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 2 Tbs. lemon juice.  Add 2 1/2 c. four and mix until smooth.   Heat a griddle with a small amount of oil or butter.  Cook both sides until golden.

No comments: