This is what the dish looked like before.
I was told to use acrylic paint. I just wanted a small amount because I didn't have too much to do so I opted with the tubes. It worked out fine. Then I was instructed to use a walnut stain to finish it. There are a lot of stains out there. Who knew? I chose this because it was a little cheaper.
I did about 3 coats of paint letting each one dry thoroughly before I put another on.
Red Shed Vintage gave me the advice to leave the inside unpainted to keep the "natural" feel to the bowl. I am happy I did. I just covered the very edge of the top with paint. Let it sit and dry completlety
before starting to sand.
I looked at a lot of pictures of other dishes and bowls to see how and where to sand it. I was skeptical of my work at first. I thought it looked like leopard spots or something. Sanding proved to be harder than I thought. I would use a medium sandpaper. Mine was too course. It hurt my thumbs:(
I lightly sanded the inside down and Suzy told me to stain it. Spray it on evenly then wipe it off with a soft rag before it dries. I found that if you use a courser rag it will wipe lines into your paint.
Then I sprayed a couple of coats of stain on the back and wiped. It turned the brick red into a beautiful color and left my sanded areas not so obvious. This is when I became really excited. I couldn't believe how nice the stain made it all come together.
So here it is all done.