March 02, 2012

PBS~American Experience~The Amish

Photo Courtesy~PBS
 I love to watch PBS and have been waiting for weeks to see this program aired. Finally, last Tuesday I got to watch it.  I have been fascinated with the Amish religion and way of life since I was a young girl.  I know that for most of you, you can understand why.  It was tastefully put together and very informative. It is quite lengthy, but you can sit down and watch it in segments over the Internet. Just follow this link if you are interested.  It will take you right to the program.
   American Experience "The Amish"
And while you are watching, you can eat these!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To Die For Peanut Butter Treats
I have been looking for so long for the perfect recipe for these.  We had them in our school lunches as a kid and I would try to get as many people as I could to give me theirs.  The consistency and taste is very similar to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Plus, they are so easy to make.
1 c. Butter
1 c. Creamy Peanut Butter
2 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs, very finely crushed
2 c. Powdered Sugar

11/2 c. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
4 TBS. Powdered Sugar

Melt your butter and 1 c. peanut butter in microwave.  Stir together and add your graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar.  (If the mixture is still to wet to press into pan add more graham cracker crumbs until the consistency is right).  Press into an ungreased 9"x 13" pan.
Melt chocolate and peanut butter in microwave.  Spread over the peanut butter mixture.  Chill for 1 hour.
Store in the fridge.
*Try not to eat the whole pan in one night~it will be hard not too*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The other morning there was an exceptional amount of giggling and laughter coming from the kitchen.  I came in to find all three girls squished together on a stool taking funny photos of themselves with the computer.  We have a program that will have the computer take a photo and then distort it in all sorts of funny ways.  This is a "comic book" photo of all of us.  
We spent way too much time laughing and playing that morning that we were nearly late for school:)


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  We are having a "StayCation" this weekend. We are going out to dinner and then we have rented a Jacuzzi Suite in a hotel in our town for tonight. The kids love to have the continental breakfasts and then we are going shopping afterwards.  It saves a bunch of money not to travel and the kids still get to have as much fun.  Hopefully my husband and I can slip away for an hour or so to go to the antique store.  I want to go look at some crocks:)

11 comments:

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Steph, cute pics~ and oh, my ~ thanks for the recipe~ making me want some sweets~
have a great weekend~
smiles
Teresa

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Oh, my. Thank you for the the recipe. Wait until I tell my daughter and my mother.
Hugs,
Susan

TheCrankyCrow said...

YUMMMM!! You little enable you! ;o) Bummer I missed the PBS show (and watching it on internet is NOT an option given our service, connection and download limits) - will have to watch for it to come on again hopefully. Looks like fun in your kitchen - in more ways than one! Enjoy your staycation - and good luck on the crock hunt! Happy Weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

Hi Steph! WOW! Thanks so much! PB candy and the Amish show--you've provided dinner and a movie! Memories of playing with the kids-priceless! Have a great time and I hope you find THE crock.--Jan :)

Christine said...

I love anything to do with the Amish so thanks for the link!
You and your girls are just great together!
Spoil yourselves on your staycation - that's a really fun idea!

Trace4J said...

Love the Amish too.
And the treats look amazing.
What fun with your girls. Treasured new memories!
Hugs Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Sheila said...

Hi Steph!
your "staycation" sounds so fun! Thanks for the yummy recipe-love me some peanut butter and chocolate!!!
Funny pics. My son and his sweetie have that on their computer and talk about laughing and having fun. They got the grandsons in on it during Christmas and I wish I had a recording of all the laughter! Priceless.
I missed the PBS program this time, hopefully it will air again.
Stay warm and I hope you find that special crock!
hugz,
Sheila

Cailey said...

YUMMY! I have to try making it, I've had it before made by you and soo amazing. I miss your family so much. I cant wait to see you guys... I hate living so far away.

~The Boyd Homestead Farm~ said...

Thanks for the easy yummy recipe Steph! I may have to make them tomorrow :) Looks like you had lots of fun with making funny pictures! Hope you are having a great staycation weekend and get to slip away to the antique shop to look at crocks :D Have fun!!

Hugs, Trish

Pam B said...

Such cute pics! Thanks for the heads-up on the special on the Amish; I'll have to try to watch it. My Internet service stinks out here so maybe I can catch a rerun on PBS.

Hugs,
Pam

Old Red Barn said...

Hi Steph

I recently discovered your blog. I'm also very interested in the Amish. I'm visiting Amish Country in Lancaster, PA, with my family this summer. We come all the way from Belgium, Europe. We'll stay at a Mennonite farm. I'm looking forward to it!

Smiles
Goedele