May 16, 2012

Living with IC and without a Keyboard

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball when you least expect it.  This has been one of those weeks.  I started showing symptoms of IC right after my middle was born.  I was extremely busy with two little ones born so close together, and with living in Alaska away from family, it was the most stressful time of my life.  Which is what I think caused the ball to start rolling.  The move back to the states with two babies in tow and driving the Alcan for 7 days caused a flare up so bad that I thought I was dying.  After dealing with symptoms and Dr.'s for 3 years, I was finally diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis.  I was so relieved to find out what was happening to me and then crushed to know that this was something I was going to have to deal with and live with for the rest of my life.
So far, after the initial flare up that sent me to the Urologist, it has been under control with minor incidents here and there.....  until this week.  It's been the worst it has been in 5 years.  It's been all I can do just to put on a smile for the girls and get the mess cleaned up.  
So, if you have reoccurring symptoms of a UTI , all  your analysis come back negative, you have to visit the bathroom constantly, and you are at your wits end trying to figure out what is wrong, I suggest you make an appointment to a good Urologist and check out this website.  It is a great place to learn about IC, connect with others who have it, and to get the latest info on the things (such as diet) that can help you manage your condition.
If this post can help just one person, then I am glad I shared it.  I wish I would have known about this years ago.
We had an Apple cordless keyboard that went on the fritz.  I found out the hard way that you can't spray a light mist of Lysol on it for disinfecting purposes:{  Nope, not even in the slightest......the Bluetooth in it made my computer wacky afterward.  We had to throw the old keyboard away and it took a while to get a new one.  It's been a challenge to not be able to use the computer and liberating as well.  No e-mails, blogging, facbook time, or even searching the Internet.  But, I obviously have a new keyboard now so I can visit my friends again:) 
Have a great day, and thanks for reading my long post.


TheCrankyCrow said...

Ok, yikes, Steph!! That sounds like a horrid think to live with!! Hope and pray it's back under control and you're doing better. It's one thing to be sick - but a whole 'nother thing to be sick with three wee ones depending on you. I, actually, had never heard of this before. I appreciate your passing along the info.... A little info and education goes such a long way. Glad you got your keyboard issue resolved. (Lysol, really?) I've been sparse these days myself b/w my mother, and our son and our dog - and you don't realize how much time is spent "on-line" until you're away a bit. I miss it, but it makes me feel guilty all at the same time. Hugs & Blessings ~ Robin

annie said...

So sorry you have had such difficulties. Hoping the days ahead are kind to you.

The Gingerbread Gem said...

Oh Steph I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope you get it under control again very soon.


TheRustyThimble said...

Good morning Steph, hope you get better soon!

Oh no on the key board, glad you got another one, I get so much more done if I limit my time on my computer.


Christine said...

Sending hugs and hoping you feel a whole lot better real quick! It's an awful condition to deal with as my mom has had to deal with it too and ends up in agony at times.
Just take it as easy as a full time mom can!

Pamela@ Our Pioneer Homestead said...

My heart goes out to you, I am still recovering from an infection of the kidneys with acinterobacter baumanii, and it was the worst experience in my recent life, and it has had an impact on many areas of my life. It is amazing how pee business can affect everything in your day. What is hard, was that there are no wounds on the outside, so I was walking around, looking fine, but feeling like I was dying also. Next week I find out if it is the antibiotic resistant kind, and if it is, the future may be grim, but I am trying to think positively, and I pray a lot. My heart goes out to you, and I will pray that this worsening of your symptoms will dissapear. xoxo

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Steph, Sorry to hear about your condition & the flare up~ hang in there ~

Raggedy Creations said...

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well Steph. Take care of yourself and get better soon. Be encouraged in the Lord.


Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

Steph, I had never heard of this --so good of you to enlighten all of us. I'm so sorry you have had to deal with it--especially while raising your little ones. As we all know, there are not enough hours in the day when you are raising children and then to have a problem like that thrown into the mix... I think you are my hero!! Hugs--Jan

Firecracker Kid said...

Aww Steph, you poor girl. I'd wondered where you'd gone to. Glad you're back :) I hate to hear your in discomfort though. I'd never heard of this either and I'll read up on it. I wish you the best sweetie.

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Hope you feel better soon. I haven't forgotten about you I will get your goodies today.