June 28, 2012

DIY~Apothecary Jars

When I saw these Apothecary Jars on The Graphics Fairy, I knew instantly they were something I really wanted to make.  I already had the bottles from an old spice rack we got 12 years ago for a wedding gift (I saved them in the back of my cabinet for that many years).  I knew I had some stained fabric from one of my last projects and the rafia cord is something I gathered up off of my mothers living room floor after some presents had been opened. 
So, it all came together very nicely and timely this morning.   

Here is what you need: Coffee stained fabric in the color and pattern of your choice, small glass bottles with lids, cording or some other material that will tie around the lid of your jar, aged paper, and a glue stick.

I did not have any more aged paper so I set "Baby" to work.  Actually, she saw what I was doing and shoved me over to do it herself.  She loves to paint and this was right up her ally.  I was happy for the help:)

First, you need to cut your fabric into squares that are at least an inch away from the edge of your circle on all sides.  Second, use a glue stick (glue gun will leave lumps and wet glue will soak through your fabric) and put glue on the top of your lid. Third, put the lid in the middle of the fabric.  It makes it easier to center this way.

See the arrow on the picture?  It's pointing to a small clear elastic used for little girl's hair.  I had a bunch of these on hand (imagine that).  I used them to secure the fabric around the lids before I tied the cording on.  It really helped to hold the sides in place as I was tying.

Fourth, measure your cording around the jar and cut leaving enough on the ends to tie a knot.  Fifth, decide what part of the bottle you want for the front.  Fold your a cord piece in half to mark the middle and secure it with glue to the exact opposite side you have decided is the front. Tip: If you are using an elastic around the jar, make sure none of the glue touches it or it will melt and snap it.  Sixth, tie the cording around the jar and finish with a knot.  

You can find the template for the labels here~Round LabelsRectangle Labels. Seventh, Print them onto your aged paper and cut them out.  Last, write what you want on the lables and attach them to the bottles.  I filled my bottles with expired perscriptions (yes, for some reason, I keep those too) for the picture and then dumped them in the trash.  I can't have wee little hands on them:{  

Hope you enjoyed my spur of the moment craft and blog post.  Thanks for taking the time to visit.  I enjoy sharing things with you.  And sometimes......it might be worth while.  Ha ha.
Have a great weekend.



17 comments:

Cindi said...

Good evening Steph! I love your craft. Maybe I can find a spice rack at a garage sale and make some of my own, they are really cute and you explained everything so well.
Have a great weekend sweetie!
Be blessed,
Cindi

Simple Pleasures said...

Hi Steph,
Those came out great! I don't have a printer and am missing out on such fun crafts. Your daughter is adorable.
Have a great weekend.
XoXO

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Loved it. I may try it with some old mason jars that I've filled with dried herbs and such. Then I could buy another prim shelf!
:)

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

Hi Steph! You have a talent for tutorials--very clear and concise instructions! Great job! You have a terrific helper there too....good job, Baby!! Looks like a nice crafting day together.--Jan

Pendleton Primitives said...

Hi Steph! I enjoyed your tutorial. I think this would look great in my medicine cabinet.
Thanks!
~Christina

Old Red Barn said...

What a coincidence! These labels (and jars) are on my to do/unfinished projects-list.

Goedele

Ann said...

These turned out great - love the idea to use the clear elastic hair bands! Have a wonderful weekend. ~Ann

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love how these look!

Raymond Homestead said...

This looks like fun, I'm going to have to give it a try!

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Great Job!

Carmen and the Primcats

Pamela@ The Sampler Makers Farmhouse said...

Clear elastics? WHAT A GOOD IDEA~~!!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Love these! Thanks for the Tutorial.
Have a wonderful weekend.

redshedvintage said...

Fantastic tutorial! Love the easy to follow instructions :-) and the cute 'hired help'! Thanks so much for sharing~
Donna @ redshedvintage.com

redshedvintage said...

Michelle ~ when my printer was on the fritz, I kept a notebook of web pages to bring up @ the public library ~ most will allow you to print at a small cost per page!

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Steph...what a great tut!
I have many, many extra plain bottles in my cupboard...have to try this.
Karen

Pamela said...

A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E. What an awesome tutorial. Thanks for making it easy to follow. I'm thinking its a fun project for my cookie sprinkles.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Very cute Steph!! Love the labels! I just love jars of all sizes and have been wanting to label some but haven't tackled that yet. It's wonderful that your kids want to craft right along with you, love that! =]