November 14, 2012

Pilgrim Motivation and Poacher

Sometimes it just takes the right thing to get me motivated and with DH out of town (I stay up until all hours of the night when he's gone), these two pilgrims were going to get made.  They have been on my list since last Thanksgiving.  I love, love, loved them the first time I saw them on Earlene's blog.  I knew they wouldn't be hard to make.  Of course, I had to figure my own pattern, but that wasn't too bad.  *Their skin isn't so pale as it shows in the picture.*
Their mouths, I have been told by select family members, say they remind them of "Frankenstein" or "Edward Scissor Hands" (a movie in which the main character's mouth was stapled closed).
Maybe it's just the primitive in me, but I love the mouths, so they will stay that way:)
Now for names..........

  
Here is the picture of Earlene's.  She told me she bought them at a little shop nearby her home and even offered to pick up a pair and mail them to me after I enquired as to where she got them.  What a sweet, sweet lady.  I  like the darker skin, but I didn't have any Walnut Stain.  So mine are just very fair:)  Go check her blog out www.primitivepassion.blogspot.com.  She has some really beautiful and inspiring things to share. Also, if anyone knows who makes the pattern, I would love to be able to give them credit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the next project I really want to get done before December.  I love advent calenders of any kind and I thought this one would be extra fun to make for the girls.  Each day has a Christmas activity you can do together. 
Here are the Instructions if you are interested.  It would be a fun thing to have in your house for the Grand kids too (if they live nearby).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This past week has been a hard one for my parents and for my children.  They lost their dog Poacher.  He has been in the family since before my children were born and was the only dog they have ever loved.  He was the best family member you could ask for.  He loved the children dearly and would sleep with them every night they visited.  He was a hunter and a chaser and a fetcher.  We shed many tears last Friday and cried ourselves to sleep.  There was a ceremony and prayer and he is buried close by the home.  
This is a picture of  "Middle" as a baby by Poacher.  She would poke his eyes and pull his ears and he wouldn't move a muscle.

Now she is grown up and Poacher so old.  

We will miss you "Old Boy"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We haven't had any Fall snow yet.  We are anxiously awaiting though.  I can't wait to get through this next week to officially begin the Christmas celebrations.  I have been enjoying all the Christmas things on your blogs' here and there.  Just a few more days:)
Have a great one and thanks for visiting me today.





14 comments:

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Steph, I am so sorry to hear you lost your baby. Our dogs are like out children they are family. I hope your kiido's are doing okay with it.
I LOVED reading your post and I am praying for your family, it isn't easy to lose a part of a family that gave you so much joy and laughs.
We have poodles and they are a joy but Mocha is getting very old, he can't hear at all and his seeing is going.I don't even want to think about it!
Bigs Hugs and Love to you my friend,
Tricia

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Hey girl, me again =] I think you did a great job on your pilgrims! I like the way they look and the fair skin is fine. They are very cute. I would not even attempt it without a pattern so I'm very impressed, lol! I've been thinking about an Advent calendar also. I am going to do the box kind with little drawers just because I have an addiction to boxes with drawers. I researched and found ideas that would work for our family, now I just need to get my box decorated. I love this style also, almost made it. I have a few pinned to my Pinterest board that I like, it was hard to decide which style to go with.

Sorry to hear that you lost a family member. It is so very hard. Even after they are gone for many years, you still think about them for they have such a way of getting close to your heart.

Glad to see you back, hope you found your mojo and looking forward to keeping up with you now. =]

Christine said...

Hi Steph - glad you've posted again but so so sorry to read about your family's grief. Poacher must have been the perfect dog.
Well done you for making your own pattern for the pilgrim couple! they are wonderful!
I can't wait for Christmas decorating to begin too - it's my favorite time of the year!
God bless
Christine

Raymond Homestead said...

So sorry about your dog. It is so darn hard to lose a pet! We just lost our dog in Sept. He was 13.
The pilgrims are cute!

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Steph.....my heart is heavy for your loss Poacher, so so sad to lose a beloved pet.........I love your Pilgrams to, great job.......Blessings Francine.

Earlene said...

Gosh Steph I guess I never noticed the Pilgrim mouths before! too funny! You did a good job making them.
I am so sorry Poacher is gone..he was very loved and those are sweet pictures.
I can't wait to decorate for Christmas either.
You need a laugh...watch The Middle tonight at 8 on channel 7.
Hugs

Cindi said...

Hi Steph! Welcome back sweetie! I was just going to email you again but then saw you had posted. Sorry about Poacher, they are such a big part of our families. Love the pilgrims you made. You are one talented gal! I am looking forward to Christmas also but not sure how I am going to fit everything in together because I don't have nearly enough prim things YET! Have a great day sweetie!
Be blessed,
Cindi

Sheila said...

Hello sweet girl~ I'm glad you've been able to find some inspiration and time to create-it does the heart good you know ;-) Been thinking of you lately, wondering how you have been.
Sorry to hear about your family's beloved Poacher. We went through the same thing earlier this year when our daughter's family dog had to be put down. Jonas had the hardest time, it was a family event the day Hercules went to heaven.
I've been getting my craft on too! Finally, normalcy around home and life is good, Praise the Lord! Getting ready for next week when my kids and grandsons and MIL will come for dinner.
Best be getting to work.
Bless you and yours, Steph!
hugs~

bettyj said...

So good to see you back Steph. But sorry about Poacher. My grandchildren grew up with our first rottie and we still talk about her. I think all of them had a picture using her for a pillow. It is heart breaking to lose a pet. Love your pilgrims. Libby gave me some and they are just delightful. Happy Thanksgiving to your family.

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

Oh Steph, so sorry about Poacher. We are still going through that terrible grief of losing a beloved furbaby. It must be especially hard for your girls.
I love your pilgrims--I think you did an AMAZING job ! No Pattern!?! I was a dollmaker years ago and it is tricky making a pattern for a 3D piece--great job! I can just imagine the fun your sweet girls would have with the advent calendar. Off to DC for a show tomorrow--have a creative weekend.--Jan

Old Red Barn said...

I'm glad you posted and crafted again! The pilgrims are cute. I'm so sorry about the loss of Poacher. I can imagine how hard it was for your family, especially for the children.

Goedele

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi, Steph,
It's so sad to read about people losing their beloved pets. I hate to think about losing ours someday.
Your pilgrims are wonderful! They are like the monkeys, speak no evil!
Hugs,
Susan

Jen said...

I made the same advent calendar last season, just didn't get it on poster board in time to enjoy it for the holiday season. Thanks for reminding me so I can get it ready to go for next week! I hope that you post pictures of your's- Have a great week!!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I am so sorry We have had to say goodbye to two of our babies in 3 years. Losing a pet is difficult. Poacher was well loved and is waiting until the time he can be reunited with his family!

Love the pilgrims!!

Xo
Marsha