March 10, 2017

DIY Cotton Blossom Stems


If I were a pioneer woman and had to beautify my little cabin I would probably be the one to pick all sorts of flowers, twigs, branches, etc. to try and somehow make my home a better place.  The ability to see beauty in such simple things is a gift I enjoy.  I am not sure others see some of the things in my house as beautiful, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. 
When I saw pictures of cotton stems floating around on the Internet I knew I needed to have some for spring.  Sadly, I was not impressed with the tutorials or the actual product I was seeing. So I set to doing it my way and making a tutorial that hopefully will benefit someone.  I think they are oh, so lovely......and simple.


Gather stems that have many out-branchings. I prefer the thinner stems that aren't so stiff and woody.  This time of year it is great to find them with the buds.  You will also need pine cones, cotton balls, hot glue, and some sort of tool for cutting. 

Start by trimming your stems of broken edges and loose debris.  Look at the branch and even it up by cutting off any twigs that look out of place. 

Separate a cotton ball. If you pull gently on the cotton ball you can discover which way it pulls in half easily. 

Roll it in between your palms until it becomes a little cotton bud. 

Pinch the bottom together so it looks like a V shape. 

Hot glue three pine cone scales around the bottom of the bud.  Place the scales so the inside of it is toward the cotton.  I tried to pick scales that would fit the size of the bud.  Some scales were very large making it look unnatural.  The smaller ones looked better. 

You will get better results if you glue them on so the tips are all touching at the bottom.  Secure the tips together with just a bit of glue.  Your bud will hold better this way and it will make it easier to attach it to the stem.

Try and pull just a pinch on the top of the bud so it doesn't look too  flat, round, or synthetic.

Now it's ready to be attached to the branch with hot glue.  You can put however many you wish on and wherever you like.  Group them together or place them singly.  Just make sure that they are even all over so one part does not become more heavy than the other. Also too many on one branch may bend it over unnaturally.

There, that wasn't so hard.  And once your done you will love your cotton stems so much you might just offer to make some for your friends!
Happy creating!

4 comments:

Christine said...

You're a genius Stephani! This is a wonderful tutorial and the end result is perfect cotton blossom stems!

Jessica said...

That is a nifty craft! The end result looks great. I'd love to try too! Thank you for sharing.

Greg said...

Looks super good. Well done!

Cindi said...

Steph this is really cute! As soon as it warms up a bit I am off to find a branch. You are so talented...thanks for sharing, you are so sweet!

BE blessed,
Cindi